Thursday, November 22, 2007

When angry, count to four; when very angry, swear.

A great quote from Mark Twain. It popped into my head tonight as I was blog crawling. What is up with all the f bombs? At least half the blogs I’ve looked at recently have been liberally laced with swears. Do people think they are being edgy? Avant garde? I don’t get it.

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m no prude. There are times I swear like a trooper and it serves me well. But that’s the point, it serves me well because when I do it people know I’m pissed off. When I release a string of invective, volume and speed rising as I warm to the task, people physically cringe and things get done. It has a dramatic effect because it’s so out of the norm.

My problem with the current trend of turning swears into mundane adjectives is that it’s taking away their power. Stealing their mojo, if you will. There needs to be ugly words. Society has cultivated these words for a purpose, and it isn’t to describe your shoes, or your neighbor, in a conversational manner.

That is all.

No comments: