Sunday, March 8, 2009

Once Again, Insomnia Has Broadened My Horizons

The other night I fell asleep on the couch within about a minute of plopping down. I’d had a busy day, and the moment I stopped, I stopped.

I woke with a start, mid snork, about three hours later, and had to will myself off of the couch. I turned off the tube and the lights; trudged upstairs, stripped down and slid into bed... only to lay there wide awake.

I hate when that happens.

Resigned to my fate, I popped on the TV just in time to catch the start of Last Call with Carson Daly. Although I’m not a fan of the show, I’ve seen it enough to know right away that it wasn’t his usual intro. I had happened on a special “On Location” edition, and that night they were broadcasting from The Hotel Café in Hollywood, as they were doing a piece on a young musician named Robert Francis.

I was a little leery at first, one of the reasons I’m not a Last Call fan is that I’m usually left cold by their choice of musical acts, but this night was different. I was totally floored by this young guy. He writes and produces his own stuff, and performs it with a depth of feeling that you don’t usually see in someone of his years. The first tune he did was “One By One”, the title track of his first album, and my personal favorite.

The next morning I did a little googling, and found that I’ve heard this guy before, and you probably have too. He does the soundtrack for a popular Zales ad, “Love Rocks”.

I’ve embedded the show below because you need to see this guy performing to fully appreciate his intensity. Check it out; maybe my insomnia will broaden your horizons too...


Robert Francis on Last Call with Carson Daly (3/5/2009)

No comments: